.... but I can control how I react to it.
My Hubby and I went to a class at my gym last weekend. It was a self defense class. The funny thing was, I got more out of the teachers talking... then the actual moves he was showing us. He started out by talking about self control (obviously a huge problem for me and food) and how depression, stress and mood all come from a lack of control. No, not the lack of controlling everything around you... but the lack of controlling yourself and how you react to things. Duh! This made so much sense.
So then my question was, how do you get control of yourself again? How do you train for that?
Obviously its a mind thing. You have to continue to tell yourself ... "I can't control everything, but I can control how I react to it" . Training is a huge part of this. Being able to physically push your way through a tough workout that you normally would walk away from .... Being mindful of what your eating ..... Its all part of the training... You can't have a healthy mind without a healthy body, and you can't push your body to be healthy without giving it the perfect fuel.
Today I start my 'controlled' way of life. I will focus on making every bite count. I will drink tons of water. I will take care of my body from here on out. I may not be able to control everything around me.... but I sure as hell can control ME!
1 comment:
That's the real question, isn't it? I look around me and see folks who don't seem to be as obsessed with food the way I seem to be (which is less so than I used to be). They just don't seem to think about it... it comes more naturally to them. One day I watched a young (skinny) coworker eat half a bag of chips and then roll them up and put them away. Half a bag of chips? That would never even occur to me.
Getting things right in our heads is the very first step to making lasting and positive changes.
Post a Comment