"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Friday, May 14, 2010

Across the country in three days....

What a trip!!

We started out in Northern Arizona where the winds were blowing so hard it actually knocked over two 18 wheelers! They ended up closing the Interstate, but not until we were already well on our way to New Mexico!

N.M. was just more wind. We spent the whole time clenching our jaws and trying to keep the vehicles on the road. I did see some beautiful red rock mountains though... I think!

Then it was into Texas, where we would spend our first night. Texas was flat as a pancake... with lots of green grass everywhere. I really enjoyed it. We spent the night in a small town east of Amarillo.

At 3 a.m. the next morning I woke up to my oldest daughter throwing up. We think it was just a case of junk food and car sickness. Anyway, we figured we were all up, might as well start driving.... this put us in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma was covered with storm clouds. Every time I looked around I had flashbacks of the movie 'Twister". Just when I was starting to feel like we were gonna be safe... traffic slows to a crawl and I see debris all over the road. On the right my daughter is pointing at all the trees that are knocked over and broken in half... on the left I see, what used to be, a gas station. It was blown to pieces. That gave me the second wind to keep driving and get the heck out of there.

We drove for 14 hours that day.... Thru OK and Arkansas and stopping for our second night in Jackson, TN. I have to say that the most beautiful city we saw this whole trip is Memphis. The city on the water is amazing to see. Breath taking.

We got up and out of the hotel at 7 there time. 5 our time. After 8 more hours of beautiful country, we finally arrived at my sisters house in North Carolina! I have to say it is wonderful to be here.

I am still struggling with car sickness... I think it may take another day or two for my stomach to feel hungry again. But we are here and all is well. Hubby is already up and out the door for breakfast with the brother in law. I'm still laying in bed with two sleeping kids. Looking out the window I see tall green trees and hear nothing but nature. Life is good.

5 comments:

Laurie (TheSafestScents.com) said...

Glad you made it safely!

We're going on a trip to Orlando from Houston this summer, and it will be the longest drive ever for me! LOL

Stacie said...

I am so glad you made it in one piece. I am sure you will recover quickly, and be ready for your next car ride...lol

Melissa Cunningham said...

oh WOW!!!! so glad you made it safe and sound! im sure you will fall in love with NC! i went to college near ashville,NC and fell in love with the mountains!
i do hope your tummy troubles get better soon!!!!

Kyle said...

I've had many cross-country trips...including staying in a horrid hotel in Amarillo and spending the night in the middle of a closed highway just after Christmas just outside of Albuquerque...glad you made it there safely.

Tiffany said...

I'm glad you made it. Your short blog post makes it seem so easy and you would do it again!

How were the girls?