"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Breathing like a fish out of water...

Before we moved from the mountains of Arizona (5000 ft) to the trees of North Carolina (800 ft) I was told how great I would feel. The lower elevation was going to make it so much easier to run. 

THEY LIED. 

I'm sure that the lower elevation could have been better... but when you add the humidity... well, it just makes it plain impossible to breathe. I struggle for each breath. Trying to find the oxygen among the water in the air. I'm sucking air just as much as I did when I first started working out at 225 lbs. 

Talk about discouraging. I know I am 50 lbs lighter now.... but to have the same out-of-shape feeling again, well, it just stinks. I wont let it get the best of me. It took 3 years to get here and it was worth it... so if it takes 3 more years to get in shape here then I know it will be worth it again.

Today's goal is to eat clean. I ate terrible yesterday and I need to have that one day of perfect eating to get me back on track. Water has been a problem too. I'm not used to the mineral taste to the water here and it makes it hard to swallow. Anyone have any suggestions? I hate to buy bottle water all the time. 

Today's workout is done and over with. I did Crossfit with Hubby again. It consisted of 3 rounds of  dumbbell thrusters (15 reps) and 30 sit ups.  It felt good today. :)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiger,
I know it can be discouraging.......but you will regain what you "feel" you have lost. In fact you have not lost anything it is just that you are not acclimated. This takes time but will not take three years. You will be on top of your game in no time flat. Keep on keeping on.

For the water, my well at home has that mineral taste. I have found that filling a gallon and putting it in the fridge helps some for some odd reason. I did the same thing in texas because there was a lot of bleach in the water there. Great job on the work out.

Just think, soon you will be running in that humidity and not even thinking about it. But do realize it does affect your pace, so slowing down a bit may help.

Jason

Kyle said...

Yeah...I've been at 5000+ ft (Utah) for a few months now and when I went home 463 ft (Missouri), I don't think it helped either and the heat/humidity took any other benefit away.

Besides, when it comes to benefits from higher altitudes, it can take weeks to months to get your body to start producing the extra red blood cells to carry more oxygen as well as increase your lung capacity.

From what I understand, though, it can be a matter of days in a lower altitude environment when you start to lose that prior benefit...sucks.