"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Another New Year Gym Day...

I went to my gym this morning to do my Sprint Triathlon...(its helping with my endurance training)... and I noticed the addition of new people. Now, don't get me wrong, I am 100% for people getting out and trying to get in shape... we all had to start somewhere, right? But for goodness sake... make an EFFORT!

I was 6 miles in on my bike ride when I noticed a lady walking up the stairs to the cardio room. She was obviously new, walking around peering into rooms and reading signs. She walked over to the bike next to me and started peddling. I smiled and so did she. Then I realized... she was wearing make-up... and oh-my-gosh... is that perfume???

She rode the bike for 5 minutes and then decided to go try out the elliptical machine, which obviously wasn't to her liking because she quickly got off and decided just to get on the treadmill.

When I was done with my 12 miles on the bike I hopped off (ok, so I slowly and painfully fell off) and went to the treadmill to do my 3 mile run. I got on the one next to her where we, once again, shared a smile. She got off and went to stretch. Whenever I looked around I noticed her looking at me.

Now, I am usually very friendly... but today I had my headphones on and was really focusing on finishing. Looking back I should have struck up a conversation... obviously the trainers there don't give a damn that people walk around lost with no idea how to get started... and maybe given her an idea of how to get a good work out in. She ended up going back downstairs to the weight room before I was done.

I got done with my miles and then went to sit and stretch a little. While I was sitting there I noticed something very interesting. The new people in the gym were working out... but not sweating. While the regulars were working out and completely drenched. I guess it takes a while for people to get in the groove.... looking back I KNOW it took a while for me to. I just wish I could push them a little and get them moving. I felt the need to become Jillian!

I went downstairs to use their chin up machine and saw the lady from upstairs using the dumbbells and she seemed to have a little routine down. I smiled, again, and went to work. Maybe she will be their next weekend... and maybe then we could talk a little!

4 comments:

Annie, The Amazing Shrinking Girl said...

I know how you feel! I have a lady at my gym who counts her reps outloud to herself...

Amy said...

Huh... Newbies... :-) You're right. We all have to start somewhere. It's frustrating to not have any direction.

Hanlie said...

I'm all in favor of starting slowly... but someone needs to tell her that perfume is a real no-no at gym. It gets up people's noses!

Tammy said...

I always found it interesting to see the influx of people at the gym in the new year, then by the middle of January the numbers drop off to something a bit more managable.

I can completely sympathize with the issues with the perfume. I remember a time at the gym, I had to abandon my treadmill run because of the perfume wearing lady beside me. Problem was I know the lady very well from outside the gym, but saying anything to her would not have been well received.