"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Directions for getting back up...

I'll be honest with you. I haven't posted in awhile because I haven't exactly stuck to the plan. I've eaten whatever I wanted. I took time off working out because I started working. I quit caring.

... and thanks to that mindset I have gained 4+ lbs, have terrible heartburn and am sluggish beyond belief. So, starting right now, THIS VERY SECOND, I am back to the grind.

So, after falling off the wagon, taking a tumble, getting run over by a couple of wagons behind me... I am going to stand up and dust myself off. This is something I have gotten very good at over the past 4 years. I know exactly what I need to do... what mindset I need to be in.. and what I need to do to get in that mindset. And as usual, the hardest part of it all is taking the first step.

What are those steps? Well, the first step (and hardest step) is admitting that you have been doing it all wrong. You have to realize that your body is not like everyone else. You cannot eat what you want and not gain a pound. You cannot ignore your body and miraculously look amazing. The body you want is the result of hard work and a strong will. Like I said, its the hardest step.

Once you take that step, and after this bout of heartburn I have right now I will have successfully taken that step, you move on to making 'the change'.  I know, it sounds scary, but in reality it is all a head game. In order to change my eating habits I have to be mentally ready. I have to have that mental picture of the goal I am heading for. The strong body that can run without stopping, that can fit into a size 8, and the body I can be proud of. What I am working towards is a masterpiece... a life long project.

So, now what? Well, like every other website will tell you... getting healthy is all about calories in vs. calories out. What does that mean? It means that in order for your body to burn fat and get healthy you need to be eating less calories then what your body is burning everyday. For me that is less then 1000 calories a day (please consult a doctor to find out what a healthy calorie intake would be for YOU to lose weight). Because of my health and past surgeries my body will not drop weight unless I am under 1000 cal. a day. That being said, I have to make sure that I get everything my body needs in those 1000 cals.  The best way for ME to do that is to eat clean! Veggies, fruit and protein. I will stay away from bread, pasta and rice. If I need carbs they will come from sweet potatoes, beans and corn.

With the food going in you have to make sure your drinking enough water to flush your body of the fat and toxin. I will be carrying around a gallon of water with me and drinking from it every hour on the hour.

Oh, and lets not forget the 'calories out' part. The best way to build up energy is to sweat! Tomorrow I will start with a good 30 minute workout/run and go up from there.

The first week of getting back on the wagon is the most important. You are going to get headaches (from sugar or caffeine withdrawals), you are gong to crave carbs, you are going to feel tired and slow.... but the important thing is to keep yourself strong in your mind. It is important to flush your body of all the crud. Get past the first week and you will be stronger for the second week. If you stumble, get up fast.

Goal:  155 lbs  

1 comment:

iampalegreen said...

This is so refreshing to see!! I too, threw myself off that wagon and am having trouble getting on. (Ever since the foot fracture before the RnR 1/2 I missed, I've been lazy and eating whatever...ugh)

Your last paragraph struck a chord...I'm ready! :)