"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Feeling comfortable with 'hungry'.

When your addicted to food there are some things you never get to experience. Like hunger. Eating all the time keeps you from feeling those grumbles that your stomach makes when it is empty. I know that those rare moments when I did feel hungry I would panic and eat the first thing I saw... subconsciously thinking I was going to starve to death if I didn't. At 225 lbs I did not look like a girl suffering from starvation.

Now I have learned that in order to lose weight I have to get comfortable with having a noisy tummy. No, I am not starving myself. I eat 3 well balanced meals a day.... 5-6 hours apart. Those 5-6 hours of not eating are the hardest hours of my day. In my head I am starving an hour or two after eating. My mind starts to search the kitchen for the next thing I can pop in my mouth. In reality, my body does not feel hungry again until an hour before it is time for my next meal. Usually making a noise here and there while preparing the food.

How do I make it 5-6 hours without food? I keep my 32 oz cup of ice water by me at all times. Chewing ice sometimes satisfies that urge to eat something. If its a sweet tooth I have, I chew some Extra gum. Before you know it those hours have flown by and its time to start making your next meal.

On my cheat day it really screwed with that balance. I had it down for two weeks.... one day messed the whole thing up. So, yesterday... not bad, but not good. Today I need to focus on getting that strength back between my mind and body.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you're talking about - the flesh is willing but the mind is weak! Stay strong - keep that cup of ice water near you at all times. Remember how strong you really are and how far you've come. Look in the mirror and see the beautiful, strong, FIERCE woman we all see! You can do this sis!

Amy said...

I totally get this. When I was a skinny thing (before college), I'd go so long between meals that I'd get hunger headaches... and that's what would remind me to eat. And I was great then at small portions. What happened to me??? I so want to get back there.

Anonymous said...

Leaving thr table a tad unsatisfied realy works. I've always been a clean plate boy, but I'm trying to change that. Now when it's time to eat, I am ready. And it's has helped.

Great post.

Rebecca said...

Maybe you could limit your cheat day to a cheat meal. So one week if you are in the mood for a cheat breakfast like a doughnut or something have that then the next week if you are in the mood for a cheat dinner eat what you want for dinner. But for the other meals of that day stay on plan.

Just a thought-that way you could get what you want and not undo your whole week on plan.

My sister and I do this.

Anonymous said...

Hey sis! Hope everything is going well! I wanted to let you know that we now have an official Operation Fat Blaster Headquarters!!

I thought it would be best to have a separate site for our challenge - a one-stop shop that everyone can access and contribute to. It's really going to be as awesome as we make it, and it's open to anyone that wishes to join.

Please check it out here:
http://operationfatblaster.ning.com/

I'll post a new discussion each Saturday (not Sunday as I previously mentioned - sorry!) with the Special Ops Mission of the Week. Feel free to blog about your mission and progress on your own blog, but come on over to "HQ" to chill out, chat, and have a great time :)

Hope to see you over there in a bit!

xo
Michelle