"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Its all in the head....

185.2

There is a new diet fad that has hit my community. It called HGC. Apparently its a series of hormone shots. I'm not sure exactly what it does but I do know that for the first couple of weeks you only eat around 500 calories a day. Yikes! I'm not going to say anything negative about it... a couple of friends of mine are doing it through their doctors and have lost a significant amount of weight. They have done so well, in fact, that I was tempted to do it myself.

I thought about it for a couple of days before coming to the conclusion that no matter what pill, shot or magic potion I took.. I had to do this the right way. The fact is, no matter how hungry I'm NOT... I eat. I am addicted to food. So it doesn't matter that my stomach is not sending my brain hunger pains... it doesn't matter that I will feel full all the time...

A food addiction is all in the head. Its a mental hunger. You find comfort in food and go to it for every occasion. Happy, sad, mad, depressed, excited, lonely... you get the picture. So, my battle is not with my stomach, but with my head. If I'm going to lose this weight, its going to be with good old fashion mind control!! LOL

No loss today... but I'm holding strong.

6 comments:

mak'n Changes said...

Yes my friend down here in phx is on that diet. She lost 15lbs in 16 days! It was crazy, and she is doing amazing. That said, I'm so glad I'm doing this by exercise and counting calories. For me it had to be a learning journey and I like the education I'm getting.

Hotch Potchery said...

I think you made a great point...like you, it doesn't MATTER if I am hungry or not. I love to eat, I have got to get that under control myself...I can't take hormone shots forever!

Hanlie said...

The problem is that they regain the weight just as quickly again once they stop the shots...

This journey is about learning and growing. We will get there in great shape!

Anonymous said...

What happens when they increase their calories and stop the injections???

I'm proud of you for keeping your head straight! You can do this!

Amy said...

I feel ya girl! Great decision making.

Fatinah said...

good grief - of course people lose weight when they stop eating... but eventually the will to live will win over and what will they have learned?

We have a similar program here called the Dr. Bernstein diet. Several ladies up at my Club have followed this program. Not only did they regain IMMEDIATELY after stopping the program, they all are bigger and are having a LOT of trouble losing that regained weight. I honestly believe the shots (here they give them some B vitamin) mess up their bodies somehow.

However, when you are ONLY LOSING weight by HEALTHY EATING AND EXERCISE like you - there is no reason ever to not keep up that habit and then the weight doesn't come back.

YOU ROCK!!