"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Thursday, November 12, 2009

I need your help! What do YOU eat the night before a race?

Getting ready for the race this weekend. My number one goal for the next 3 days is too stay hydrated. The worst thing you can do is go into a race already lacking water. So... I will be keeping my water bottle next to me at all times!

I am making my checklist of things to take with me... the number one thing I need to take is a good watch that gives me the seconds too. My strategy for this race is to run for 2.5 minutes and walk for 2.5 minutes. With my speed, it keeps me at a 15 minute mile. My ultimate goal is to run the entire first mile and the entire last mile!! That would make me very happy!!

So... I need your help. What kind of running watch do you use, if you use one? What is your strategy when your headed to a race. Keep in mind, this one is only a 5K !!!

I am going to go through my closet today and start picking out clothes. It is very rare that I get a chance to dress up for the city life!! I'm thinking about taking down those size 9's and seeing how they look! I think Roni and I may go out for a little while on Saturday night... probably just for dinner... but that's more then this mommy has seen in years!! LOL

OOOH!!!! Another question!! What do you eat the night before a race????

4 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Giant bowl of fetticine alfredo and six-pack of root beer.

Okay, I'll go ahead and admit I haven't run a race. Maybe you shouldn't take my advice...

Fatinah said...

no matter which race I'm running (I've done 5k's, 10k's and a 22k) or walking (done the same for that too) I never change how I'm eating or do anything differently. But that is just how I roll!!

NOTWBTRFLY said...

Sorry I dont have much advice either. I know they do suggest pasta the night before for carbs. I have ready marathon runners that mix applesauce and dry oatmeal and eat that 60-90 min before the race. I have only ran one race so I am not going to pretend to know a lot about it. Last year when I did the race for the cure (5k) I ate half a bagel and a small banana. I think you are smart for staying hydrated and wish you all the best of luck. And wishing you a super fun time in the city. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Melissa Cunningham said...

well,you dont really have to do too much different-the meal that really matters is not the night before,but rather about 2 hours before the actual race....
(but you still dont want anything heavy the night before,like beer and pizza!)
you want something light about 60-120 minutes before the race (for optimum carb effeciency during the race)-maybe a piece of fruit with oatmeal,or a protien bar (cliff bars are good or PURE PROTIEN bars) maybe toast with peanutbutter? what you usually have for breakfast? just keep it light with slightly higher carbs (keep a protien in there though!)
ALSO do keep hydrated as you are doing now....
as far as watches go-i race with an el-cheapo walmart one. as long as you get one that has the stop watch thingie on it-its all good.
as far as racing goes-
wow-endless possibilities here....you do have a great goal of running the first and last mile all the way through...just go in there with the mindset of reaching your personal goals-some ppl choose to keep a staedy pace for every mile,some will run the first mile fast,the second mile find "thier pace" ie slow down a tad,and then go in and kick it up the last mile-some people will get faster with each mile.....some will run/walk the entire time,some will just run until they finish....
SO just go in there and do your best!
hope the info helps out some!good luck this weekend,have some fun and cant wait to read a recap!!! (hint hint)