"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It's never too late (or too early) to recommit

“Character gets you out of bed. Commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope, and discipline enable you to follow through to completion.” - Zig Ziglar

Things happen in our lives that cause us to stray from our path of healthy living. For example, this week it was Halloween and my daughter getting the flu... and then passing it to me. Yesterday I felt the farthest off track, mentally, that I have been in a while. Not so much feeling like giving up on the whole thing, but wondering how I was going to get back to where I was.

Its not like its been months since I've worked out. Only five days, in fact. And its not like I've eaten so much candy that I've gained all the weight back. I'm holding steady at 174.0.

Its more like the worry that I wont be as good as I was. I wont be as good a runner... I wont be able to wake up at 5 a.m and get on that track again. Seriously, I'm worried about not being good enough.

I forgot that its not about how good your doing it... but that your getting up and doing it in the first place. Eventually all that practice will pay off and you will get good at it... but nobody just wakes up and is a pro football player... or an instant marathon runner. It takes practice.

Yesterday I was laying in bed with my daughter... I knew that whatever she had had made its way into my body. This morning we are both doing better. She is back to her old self. I am getting there. I'm not going to run today... but I am going to get on the treadmill and walk a couple of miles. Just to remind myself how much I really do LOVE it.


Its time to recommit.

2 comments:

NOTWBTRFLY said...

Sorry to hear you were sick, but glad you are feeling better. Every day you have to recommit to keep on keeping on. We are all human and get off track. It's just a matter of not letting yourself completely derail. You are more than just good enough, you are awesome, and a huge inspiration. Get Well, and get back out there chica!

Amy said...

Hope you continue to get better. You are doing great on the motivation. You are a great example for all of us!