The past couple of days I have come to the realization that I have been focusing on the wrong thing. I have been trying my hardest to be a number on the scale. To be #150. Can you imagine if that is how we introduced ourselves?
'Hello, I'm 150!'
Apparently, that is exactly what I feel when I meet someone. There must be a little window on my forehead that is blinking my number in bright red. If its not the right number they may think me disgusting, a slob, lazy or .... fat. (but that is for another blog post... I'm straying off the path again)
My infatuation with the number will probably never go away, I've tried. The thing I realized is that I shouldn't be focused on losing weight. I should be focused on eating right. Eat right and the weight will drop off. I think I already knew that... I just didn't put it in the right order... or maybe I just didn't put enough value on the whole eating thing.
Sure, I count calories. I stay away from dairy now (thanks to my allergy to it). I try not to eat sugary things.... but am I eating good enough food to sustain me? Am I getting all the nutrition my body needs everyday from the small portions of food I am eating? Lets review my usual food choices:
Breakfast: oatmeal or 2 hard boiled eggs
Lunch: sandwich or tuna fish with some kind of veggie on the side.
Dinner: (hubby's choice) Pasta, meat, fish or chicken with veggies
I do not usually eat in between meals. It just works better for me. At a glance this looks like a pretty healthy menu for the day. Protein, carbs, veggies. Now, let me show you a recommended menu:
FIRST THING IN THE MORNING Cup Warm Water with a squeeze of lemon1 Cup Nettle tea
BREAKFAST Large Punnet of Blueberries (If you want a second punnet, then go for it).
MID MORNING SNACK ONE VEGGIE JUICE 2 celery sticks 1 cucumber 2 carrots
LUNCH Tuna fish on a salad bed of Spinach. If you wish, steam spinach for one minute. HOLD THE MAYO. 6 Cherry tomatoes Heap Spinach leaves Handful of Dill herb sprinkled throughout. Squeeze raw lemon and or a dash of orange.
MID AFTERNOON SNACK 1 VEGGIE JUICE 2 celery sticks, 2 cucumbers
DINNER Small veggie juice 1 cucumber and 1 celery stalk Miso soup with tofu pieces and scallions. You can buy Miso in packets. Just add hot water. Chop up a few scallions.Organic Turkey or Organic Chicken with steamed carrots and broccoli and a tablespoon of Miso soup to moisten your white meat.Big handful Mung Bean sprouts and herbal leaves.
EVENING SNACK 1 or 2 fresh RAW peaches
Hmmmmm, big difference. Granted, the same idea of food... just a lot more fruits and veggies incorporated. It really hit home for me this week. I need to stop worrying about what the scale says and start worrying about feeding my body things that are going to make it work at its full potential. Its time to switch gears here.
I got that nutrition plan from one of my favorite ladies to hate. (yes, there is just something about her that bugs me) Jillian Mckeith. She does have a very 'back to basics' way of eating and I like it. You can take a look at the nutrition plan HERE.
I am also going to quit slacking and get to sweating every day again. No more feeling sorry for myself... (for whatever is going on in my life at the time)... I want to feel good again. I want to feel strong. Stay tuned for my 60 day summer challenge. Its time to start doing this right.
Here is a little bit from Meghan's blog that really struck home:
I’d rather be a little chubby, with a fuller bottom,
rounder face, clearer skin, thicker hair and feel wonderfully vibrant,
clear-headed, excited about life, healthy and happy, than ever have to be
sick again.
What would you rather be? What’s most important to
you? The way you look or the way you feel? Are you able to make these co-exist?
Are you at a place of optimum health? What does health look and feel like to
you?
6 comments:
great post
it is time to get back to basics and get healthy instead of trying to be unhappy and staring at a number
thanks for this post it just really woke me up to what i have been doing wrong
and that tatoo on the right hand side of your blog is gorgeous
i love it
great post.
enjoy your weekend
Love it and so true! I think I think about myself this way too.
Yeah what is up with us wanting (in a way) to feel sorry for ourselves? Setting ourselves up for failure doesnt make us happy...
I think it has something to do with that if we fail we get to relax a bit. "I have already blown it so now I don't have to worry or stress about not succeeding"... Deep shizznik I know, ha!
And are you sure you are eating enough, maybe your body is holding on to calories instead of using them? Oh what do I know, everyone is different!
Have a fab weekend!
Before I read your "suggested meals" list, I was going to say "fruits and veggies." If you really want optimum health, that's the way to go. I've been reading (and studying) a lot about nutrition, as I prepare to make some changes to my eating. The best resource so far has been "Eat to Live," but Dr. Joel Fuhrman. His two-book set is fantastic, and has everything you need to know to be truly healthy. I highly recommend those books. :)
Well written and great post!
Post a Comment