"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Words of Wisdom...


We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. Aristotle


Have you noticed that the days get easier? After the first week you are able to push aside temptation without breaking a sweat? I always tell myself that the first day is the hardest. In all reality every day is a struggle for me, but mentally the first day is the hardest.


I have always said that breaking a food addiction is harder then any drug out there. You don't get to go to rehab to 'cleanse' yourself of it. You don't get to turn your back to it and 'just say no'. A food addiction is a constant battle within yourself. Everyday you are faced with your drug of choice. It is laid out in front of you in feasts and banquets. Every holiday is based around it. At every gathering its pushed in your face.


My food addiction can't be defined by just the foods that are bad for me. I am addicted to all food. What does that mean? It means that when I eat, I EAT. I would eat all day, everyday. Any food that would find its way in front of me would end up in my mouth. There is such a thing as eating TOO much healthy food too! 3000 calories is 3000 calories no matter what the food is. Even food that I was allergic to would find its way in my tummy, causing me pain and frustration but I didn't care. I was (mentally) HUNGRY.


As a food addict, the first day of a 'diet' is a mental war.... but there is hope. When you survive that first day, and you will survive it, the second day dawns a little brighter. A couple more days will pass and you will notice the bond that food has over you is fading.


I am on my third year of trying to tame this beast. I have learned some tricks that have helped me.... and I could share those with you but I think the most important thing that has changed me (and helped me drop 50 lbs) is that I have taken the time to learn more about ME. Mentally I am getting stronger. Mentally I am able to look at food and say "no thank you". Mentally I am ready to make the final step and reach my goal.


A week into eating healthy... no bread, no dairy, no processed food... and I feel SO good. Forget the scale. The numbers only reflect the way I feel. My stomach is not bloated and cramping from eating foods I am allergic to. My headaches are few and far between. My mood does not change at the drop of a pin.


This is a hard road to stay on... but its the one that will eventually get me to where I want to be. In the end, I will win the war in my head.


2 comments:

BEE said...

great post!!!!!!!!!

BEE said...

thanks for joining my blog
talk to you later