"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jack Frost was nipping at my heels...


My motivation this morning was ole' Jack Frost. It was 32 degrees outside this morning when I went for my run. As I stepped outside and took a deep breath my entire body went into shock. Brrrrrrrrr!

I usually run the bleacher stairs after my run, but this morning I needed to warm up my legs and get the blood flowing... and fast. So I sprinted up 6 times and then ran 1 mile. At this point I could no longer feel my nose and decided that was enough.

I could have run more.... I could have done more... but I just can't do it in this cold weather. I'm going to have to find another way to train this winter. Suggestions??

4 comments:

Marcelle said...

If you can get a gym membership the treadmill is a good place to train during winter...
I have tried 2x now to run outdoors in the temps here and really struggle, and I want till the afternoon when its a bit warmer...

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Do what I'm planning to do: just hibernate til spring rolls back around. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Anonymous said...

I did a 32 degree run/walk the other day. Damn cold wasn't it?

But I was plenty warm when I was done. I think I over dressed.

I keep thinking on the worst winter days I will be confined to the eliptical and the x-bike.

That will be tough to stay motivated, so my suggestion is invest in good work-out gear designed for colder weather.

I still think being outside is my fav.

Fatinah said...

hop on your treadmill missy, and watch the weather for any warm days and when they happen - take advantage!!