The winds are blowing, sometimes up to 73 mph, and snow is everywhere. Luckily we still have power, but we built fires in both fireplaces to help the electric heater to keep the house warm. My Hubby has not worked in days and I just sent him out the door to assist my Godfather in the next town over who got snowed in, power is out and has no heat.
This time of year is always a two sided coin. On one side its the holidays where families gather together and children are giddy. The snow makes the Christmas lights shine even brighter and the fire crackling always makes a home seem more, homey. But the other side creeps up on me too. The freezing cold that you can't seem to shake. The sad stories of people with no money for food, heat or Christmas. The clouds that keep a constant gloom on my house. The stress of bills, work, food and Christmas presents.
I hate this time of year.. all but the one day of Christmas where I watch my children with awe and wish I could once again see Christmas through innocent eyes.
Being prone to depression, this month is the worst. I often find myself wanting to hide in my house with the blanket drawn over my head.... if it weren't for being a mother of two very lively little girls who talked their father into hanging Christmas lights from every corner of this house... inside and out.... I would be having a very rough month. Instead I am surrounded by laughter, lights, giddy girls and warm hugs.
I may have seen a glimpse into the secret of seeing Christmas the way a child does.... its not about EVERYTHING. Its about the moment. The one moment you are in right now. The moment the lights come on and shed rainbows across the walls. The moment you hear the bells on the door knob telling you Daddy is home. The moment you open the curtains and see an ocean of pure white. The moment your locked in an embrace with warm arms. At those moments, nothing else matters.
Enjoy your moment.
5 comments:
What a well-worded and moving post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I so needed that right now. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who is struggling this holiday season. I keep telling myself and others that it is not about the money you spend on the presents, but the time we all spend together.
Life is short and who knows if we will have next year to celebrate. Heck we aren't promised tomorrow. So love the time you have and share a moment or two with someone who you love.
It is such a hard time of year! Do you think it might be possible that the lack of light is contributing to your depression? Getting some early morning sunlight can be very helpful with that. Have a wonderful holiday season.
weight loss
well said Tiger!!
PS: I love, love, love that picture of you!
You are so right! Someone was talking about defining moments on another blog, and I replied that my biggest challenge these days is to remember that every day is filled with defining moments.
Post a Comment