"Should I just concentrate on losing the weight or should I concentrate on running?"
I asked my husband this question a couple of days ago. Knowing that I only had a month before my half-marathon and knowing that I can't focus on both (yes, I know, that weird) I asked him which he thought would benefit me more.
If I just concentrated on dropping weight, I could be a healthy 156 lbs for the race and just pray my body kicks it into gear when its time...
or
I could continue my training and not worry about the weight. Just get my body ready to run for 13.1 miles.
I know most of you are wondering why I can't do both... well, for a couple of reasons. First, my body is a pain in the ass when it comes to losing weight. I have to keep my calories down to about 1000 a day to drop weight. (yes, even my doc said it) We all know that you can't train for a half marathon on a 1000 calories a day...
My husband told me to stick to the running and that the weight should follow.
The only thing I have noticed while training is that, although my weight is not dropping, my body is getting more aerodynamic! Its changing, moving around, flattening out and toning up. But this morning I weighed in at 180. Talk about a punch to the gut. From 176 to 180... yikes.
I'm really praying that its all water retention in the new muscles I'm making!!!!
I am doing another Sprint Tri this weekend. I'm addicted. The feeling I got afterwards was amazing. EVERY muscle in my body was screaming out for more. I can't stop! I think I need a coach and a nutritionist.... I can totally see myself succeeding.
6 comments:
I agree with your hubby... The calorie deficit you will create running longer mileage will more than offset the increase in calories needed to have energy. I burn about 800-900 calories (according to my polar) every hour I run (about 5.5 - 6 mph). If you are wanting to run a half your training runs are going to start going over a hour in duration. So if you add 500 to 600 calories of healthy food (which is allot if its clean) you should still be operating in a deficit. Also if your body is getting more streamline etc that means your building lean body mass which means it will help you in the calorie burn also. IMHO diet only is no way to loose weight and be truly healthy. I have done that and it = skinny fat for me. Do it right using diet and exercise (lifestyle) and it will most likely stick around longer. Put in good fuel and keep training for your half and the other stuff will straiten itself out.
There's no reason why you should have to eat under 1000 calories a day to lose weight. I would re-examine the kinds of foods you're eating if you're having a hard time. I would be willing to bet money that if you cut out grains and sugar you would instantly see the weight-loss start again. I had great success with eating only non-processed foods (meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and seeds) in unrestricted quantities for a month. Food quality is really much more important than quantity, in my experience.
totally agree with ripx180-focus on running and the wieght will follow-the flatness and leaness change you have noticed IS lean muscle,and yes it showed up on the scale-muscle weighs more than fat but dimensionally is 5x smaller....and no worries,after or even during prep for your 1/2 your new found fat burning muscles will kick in to ultra high gear and you will see even more improvements!!! just hang in there chica!!!! you can do this!!!
I'd go with the husband's advice. Just be sensible with the diet, not overly restrictive.
Good luck with it.
Have you read "The Slow Fat Triathlete"? I have a review on my blog - http://www.fertilehealthy.com/blog/2009/09/25/book-review-slow-fat-triathlete/ Not that I'm saying that you're slow or fat, but I think it's a nice introduction to the sport.
Stick with the running, I think. Your weight will follow.
As a holistic nutritionist...I agree with your husband! Best of luck.
BODA weight loss
Post a Comment