"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Saturday, May 30, 2009

He bites if you stop...


Our new little horse, Shorty, has become very bossy... and spoiled! I am waking up extremely early these days. The sun is shining through the windows at 5 am... and my eyes jerk open. So, to keep from waking everyone else up, I take the opportunity to get some one on one time with Shorty. I put his halter on him and we go for a walk down the street and back.


This morning I stopped to say good morning to one of my neighbors who was out doing some gardening. Shorty got a little mad and kept trying to pull me. The longer I talked the harder he tried to get me to walk. Pushing his head against my legs, pulling on the lead rope and finally a big chomp on the leg.


My husband says that you shouldn't ever let a horse think he is the boss.... but I'm afraid Shorty is already the leader of this duo. The rest of the walk went fine. I even jogged a little bit just to see him run beside me. Tomorrow I will have to wear running shoes though.... cowboy boots just don't do it.
If only I could get that kind of motivation on the treadmill!


Don't forget to comment so you can get entered into the drawing for a SkinnySongs CD!!

5 comments:

Hanlie said...

Oh how cute! You going running with your little horse! That must be quite a sight...

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Oooh, hubby is right. You need to change the pecking order and get bossy with the horse. When we lived in Texas we had a horse and were around several others and the woman who taught us about them was very stern about being boss of the horse. :-) It's just like toddlers. You do NOT want to let them think they can control you with tantrums or heaven forbid, biting!
Path to Health

mak'n Changes said...

That is so cute! The horse took a bite out of you? did it hurt? Jeez! Crazy animal! I always heard horses have neat personalities, but i've never had the chance to find out for myself... maybe someday.

Tammy said...

Omg, he is the cutest little guy. Sorry to hear he bit you, the little brat. Still cute though.

I was thinking of you this morning when I was working away in my home gym, wondering how you're doing and feeling.

Claire said...

They are just like two-year olds! Wow! When I was little, I bit my mom when she was talking on the phone, because she wouldn't pay attention. Same thing, it seems. :)

Have fun with the little guy.