"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Thursday, September 17, 2009

I have come to the conclusion that...

There is no such thing as a runners high.

I was up again at 5 a.m. running at the track. I was a little late because I had to stop and gas up my car... so by the time I got there I was already cutting it close to the time I had to get home. I decided to push myself a little bit harder. It paid off. I knocked another minute off my mile and made my run in 12 minutes.

I am still not used to getting up so early, and it is so hard to get going... but the minute I step on to that track I feel energized and ready to move. Its the best feeling in the world to be running in the dark (in 45*F weather) while everyone else is still sleeping. It give me that accomplished feeling!

The track I run at is at the high school and it shocked me the first time I went there. I thought for sure I would be the only one there... I even went prepared with my mace! Can you believe that there are at least 15 regular people that walk that track every morning at 5 a.m.?? One of them is an 80 year old man who makes his rounds with his walker. This morning he was stopped in the middle lane so I took my head phones and asked if he was ok. He said he was fine, he just had to stop at regular times because he had Angina. (Angina is chest pain or discomfort that occurs when your heart muscle does not get enough blood.) He smiled and waived me off.

I put my headphones back on and kept running. If this 80 yr old man can make it out here every morning and not complain about the hundreds of things that ail him... then I sure as hell can kick my ass into gear without whining and crying about it.

Tomorrow is a scheduled day off. Saturday is my long run with Ronie (who is now officially signed up for the PFC half too!) She is a great runner and friend. She wont be afraid to push me when I'm going too light on myself. LOL

Today is exactly 4 months from the half marathon. I'm so excited. Girls.... are we going to do a girls night out while we are there??? I'm ready to do a little dressing up and dancing!!

11 comments:

Roder said...

Agreed. The runner's high seems like such a myth - I run 4/5 miles a few times a week and have yet to feel anything I'd consider a "high".

Melissa Cunningham said...

YAY for you for getting on that track at 5am!!i liked the story about that old man inspiring you to keep running and not complaining!
i do have to let you know that a runners high DOES exist,but ppl feel it in different ways-maybe its a euphoric feeling,legs feeling lighter,lungs feeling better-OR maybe none of that,but rather a mental euphoria,a change in mindset for the positive,even though the physical body is screaming...you'll get to that point eventually,maybe not now,maybe not a year from now,but one day,promise!
anyways,good job on your run this AM-glad you were a minute faster!
you ROCK!

Carlos said...

awesome job great motivation!

Fran said...

I still haven't found what I'm looking for .... that is the runner's high.

The only thing I did notice is that about 35-40 minutes running goes difficult for a few minutes and after that it al goes well. Might that be it? I don't know.

I admire you for getting up at 5 am to go running. I did a few early morning runs around 6.30 in the summer and although getting up early isn't all that good after my run I felt energetic and good all day.

NOTWBTRFLY said...

Great job girl!

Fatinah said...

I get that runner's high. It is what keeps me running - there is no feeling like it!! I hope you do get to experience it someday!

Congrats on having such a great time for your mile!

Anonymous said...

That old guy is officially going into my 'motivation bank'. I add people and things to it to refer to when fitness times get hard.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about a high, but sometimes...especially when my ride or walk has been especially hard I get this huge sense of accomplishment when I get through it. Grinning my butt off and everything.

Maybe that's the high...

sharongracepjs said...

My running buddy and I also go to the high school track and we have little nicknames for the other runners. Our favorite is Marathon Man - a 50ish guy who wears this super-sporty shorts-and-tank set, and when he finishes his laps, peels off the track without breaking pace and runs the whole way to his car.

It's crazy how quickly I've gotten addicted to starting my morning at the track!

Hanlie said...

I love that kind of perspective! And I am now inspired.

The Fat Girl said...

That's awesome about the old man. I can't run normally on a track, but I adore the elliptical. I'm trying to get one now actually.

And I always felt high when I ran on the elliptical, though I think it was mostly psychological. I was excited that at over 300 lbs, I was able to run.