I tried on 6 pairs... yes, 6. None of them felt 'right'. Not that I even know what a running shoe should feel like... but they weren't comfortable... and I know enough that a running shoe better be comfortable! I also need one with support. I have flat feet, I walk on the outside of my foot (or at least that is where my shoes get worn down first) and a wide foot. Yes, I know, not the best feet for a runner.. but hey, at least I'm still trying!!
I saw these, Vibram Five Fingers, and wondered if they really worked. I can't imagine they are comfortable, or uncomfortable for that matter. Has anyone tried these?? and are they worth the money?? OK, so this is what I need from you.
What kind of running shoe do you wear?? What do you recommend??
I took today off from running because my right foot was still hurting last night and the last thing I need is to be hurting on saturday for my 10K! I'm rubbing Arnica gel on it and its feeling a little better today. I will be running the 10K in my old shoes... unless I find some better ones soon!
Ooooh... and who doesn't like a giveaway?? Go here and check out all the loot you can win!!
9 comments:
Those would go good with my toe socks.
Well I would recommend going to a real running store and get fitted. They will put you through some tests and tell you what shoes will best support your foot/weight etc. that's what I did about 10 years ago and have never looked back. I like the Asics Gel Kayano but they don't come cheap. You could also use road runner sports to help determine a shoe type
"http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp?cm_sp=shoe_dog-_-search_pages-_-top_left_banner"
They carry about every shoe and their prices seem to be descent. The only problem is not being able to try them on. Once you find a shoe you like then you can buy through on-line resellers and not worry. Anyway good luck with the shoe hunt. When you find the right one you will know.
I have a pair of Vibram Five Fingers, and I love them. However, for everyday running I still use regular running shoes. The Vibrams are very comfortable, but you are forced to build strength in your calves to make up for the lack of padding. Also, you have to re-learn how to run, since the typical heel-first strike will soon result in a lot of pain without the cushioning provided by most shoes. My brother has run 5Ks in his Vibrams, but it takes a while to ramp up to that.
What I like most about them is they teach you how to walk correctly again. Without the heel cushioning you're forced to walk as you would naturally, which means more of a mid-foot strike. It has helped me rid myself of shin splints and heel spurs, so I've found that to be very valuable.
I have New Balance shoes and I love them. They are so comfortable. But, they were chosen for me by the clerk at the Running Room. She had me try on shoes and run around the store so she could see if they were good for me. So, I agree with Rip. If you haven't already, go to a running store and have someone pick them out for you.
I've been a New Balance guy for probably 25 years. Can't imagine running in those toe shoes.
yup,agree with Rip-go to a real running shoe store and get fitted-i HAD to do that due to my unconventenal runners feet- (flat,wide,extra bone,over pronator,etc etc)
what i find works for my flat wide foot is either saucony,newbalance or adidas-there are also all sorts of inserts you can get to help with arch supports,but what i had to do was get orthodics made (i have a leg length descrepency as well) It may cost a little bit extra to find the perfect fit,but i promise it is very worth it in the long run (no pun inteneded lol!)
so good luck with it all,and do let us know what "glass slipper" you end up getting!
I'm a Nike gal - but I would never buy a pair of running shoes without getting fitted at a running shoe store. Seriously - it isn't a matter of which brand is most common it is about what works with your foot. They can do an assessment and get you the happiest feet you've ever had!
I've been eying those Vibram's for a while, but because they're imported, they're about double the price here, so I'm not going there!
Hmmm... those look interesting. I don't know much about running shoes, but after so many years with so much weight, I know about the need to get something comfortable. You'll have to let me know.
I have a wide foot too, or at least I always had to buy wides. When I bought the wedding shoes (for the wedding I'm in), I was actually able to get a shoe that wasn't a wide. And I walk on the sides of my feet. I got a pair of shoes that had roll bars, and it helped me learned to be more conscious about it. It's not as bad anymore. You don't need to get running shoes with rolling bars though.
Post a Comment