"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Motivation #1

It's obvious that my number one motivations are my children and husband. They are my batteries that keep me going, and going, and going with this weight loss thing. Knowing that YOU know this I thought I would look somewhere else for motivation this week.

FEAR:

At 225 lbs I thought I was gorgeous... and I was. But what I see now when I look at my old pictures is a woman who is locked in a cell behind 70 lbs of fat. I see a forced smile and an uncomfortable gaze. I see clothes that, while cute, are straining to stay closed.

It makes me sick to see myself that size. It makes me sick to know that I KNOW how to lose the weight and yet I still struggle with it everyday. Those pictures are a reminder of what I never want to be again. An unhealthy woman burying her emotions in food and praying that no one will see her do it.


I look at pictures of myself now and see a glow that wasn't there before. I see eyes of a woman who is experiencing life. I see a smile that comes from freedom.... and I see the potential of this woman becoming that woman once again. There is a fear that drives this woman to keep going.

Fear is my motivation today. Fear of losing ground in a battle where 1 pound here and 1 pound there can add up to a lifetime of either pain and suffering or.... happily ever after.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear...A great motivator indeed...and not just of clothes or pics, but also of shortened lives and missed experiences with family and friends.

iampalegreen said...

You're doing great!

Annie, The Amazing Shrinking Girl said...

Love this post and it's so true! But you got this and yup... one pound here and there adds up!! Keep it up!

♥ Dee ♥ said...

Are you me?