"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Did you know....

....that 1 tooth weighs 1 lb!

Ok, so that's not true... but it sure seemed that way yesterday when I came home from having two teeth extracted and weighed in at 180 lbs!! Don't ask me why I went straight to the scale after my horrific two hours in the dentists chair... but it did make my day!




After 10 years I have finally given in to my deadly fear of dentists. I don't know if it was the pain of having 4 broken molars or if its this new life I am trying to create for myself. I mean, you cant have a rockin' bod and not have the smile to go with it, right? So I walked into the dentists office (thanks to a little shove from my husband) and sat in the chair. The dental assistant was a wonderful woman named Charlotte... who made me want to just give her a big hug. She took the x-rays and wiped the tears as they fell from my cheek. Now don't go picturing me sitting in the chair crying like a baby... they were just a couple of stressed out tears that escaped before I could get my hands out from under the 100 lb lead jacket they laid on top of me.




The dentist was amazing. (I think Charlotte gave him a heads up that I was a head case!) He asked why I was scared of dentists... I said I didn't know but that just the thought of my teeth being worked on gave me an anxiety attack. He then asked about my tattoos... my kids... my husband... all while checking out my teeth. (How do they expect you to answer them when you have a mans entire hand in your mouth?)




The best part was when he asked me if I was a soda pop drinker. I shook my head and said "NO! I eat clean and drink only water. I'm training for a half marathon in January!" His eyes went wide. " No kidding," he said. "I'm running that marathon too!" After that it was all easy going.... kinda.




He gave me 4 shots on the right side of my mouth to numb it up. After waiting a couple of minutes he tested my mouth... I felt everything. 'Well, no wonder your scared to death of dentists' he said. 'They probably never gave you enough meds to numb you up all the way'. So with 5 more shots... yes 5... my mouth was finally numb. He did his thing... grabbing, yanking, pulling, pushing, breaking, cutting, sewing.... and the list goes on... until two of the 4 molars were extracted. The whole time my eyes were shut and all i was thinking was... 'my dentist is a fellow marathon runner!'.




Almost 12 hours later and here I am with a very sore mouth, face and jaw. I am happy I went in, even with the pain. It is a good feeling to finally be doing something to better myself... and my teeth! Next Monday I go back in to get the stitches removed and for him to remove the two on the other side. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not scared either. Hey, he's a marathon runner... and so am I!


As for my weight... I dont know if it was just a fluke that it hit 180 or not. We will have to wait until next Monday to find out. With my liquid diet, though, I think I may drop some good weight this week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you sis!! I am awarding you and your blog the Honest Scrap Award! Check out my post today for all the details!

xo
Michelle

P.S. Was your dentist hot? Was he single? If your answer is yes to both, hook a sister up in January! LOL

Alicia said...

I hate to hear about the dentist (I hate going too)but I am glad you got it taken care of! Way to go for going!

Mesha said...

Hey, way to go at facing your fears and good job on the loss too.

We now have a site to log our 100 Mile Challenge miles. See details at link below:

http://rebornwright.blogspot.com/2009/08/log-your-miles.html

Anonymous said...

You're braver than I am. I am scared of the dentist too. I never thought about losing weight through tooth loss though. I may hold on to that one for when I hit the inevitable plateau. Think about where that kind of thinking could lead.

Congrats on the loss!

iampalegreen said...

Well look at you go girl! That's hilarious about your dentist running the race with us! Ha!

My foot doctor is also a runner and his office is adorned with his trophies, ribbons, medals, etc. He's actually good, I see a bunch of 2nd and 3rd place awards. I mentioned that I workout a lot and ran a few 5Ks so I can't wait to get back on my feet. His response was "good for you!" I think it's great that doctors/healthcare professionals are setting good examples for their patients!

Unknown said...

Wow good for you. I'm scared of the dentist too. I've never had a cavity, but I think I have one now, but I'm scared to go in!!
Your post makes me a little less scared - maybe I'll take your lead and go get checked out.

The Fat Girl said...

I hate dentists too. I've been pretty lucky with my teeth so far, but one morning I'm going to wake up and all my teeth will have fallen out. I'm going next month. Kudos on the weight drop though!

lisah said...

Great job on facing your fears! I too was afraid of the dentist but he, like yours, was great and eased my fears. I felt so much better afterwards. It doesn't hurt that he is attractive of course!