"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why???? Why????

There are days when I really question my ability (and mentality) to finish everything I have set out to achieve. Yesterday I went to town for my drum lessons with my new teacher. He rocked. He is actually the preacher at a baptist church in a neighboring town. Anyway, after my lesson I figured I would stop at the park and get in a run before heading home. I figured I'd better since I new I was going to the dentist again today and would probably be on pain meds for another week.

I started off a little shaky. You know, those first couple of yards where your body is in shock that your even thinking of moving this fast...(without being chased).... and every muscle in your body is horrified at the sudden rush of incoming blood. I managed to drown out the little voice saying 'why? why?' with some really loud music and keep on going.

At least for a couple of more yards before I found myself needing to walk. I caught my breath and then picked up the pace again...... for a couple of more yards. At this point I'm thinking about what a bad idea this half marathon might be. Then I hear my Dad's voice in my head saying 100 on, 100 off. This was how he helped me run when I first started to lose weight back in 8th grade. So I counted 100 steps walking and then took off and counted 100 steps running. This was working until I lost count too many times and could only concentrate on the burning in my throat.

I made the 1.25 mile lap in 15 minutes, but holy crap do I suck at running. I was very doubtful on my way home. Doubting myself and my ability to ever become a runner... especially a marathon or half marathon runner. Hubby gave me some advice when I got home saying, 'running is like anything else, in order to get good at it you have to keep practicing'. Amen for smart Hubbies!!

So, I may not be a runner NOW.... but starting September I will be practicing a little everyday until I get really good at it! I wish I could start today, but I saw my dentist this morning and am back on pain pills and a liquid diet. I have another appointment next Tuesday and hopefully that will be the last.

No worries ladies and gentlemen.... runner or not, I am going to cross that finish line in January. I dont give up that easily on myself.

9 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

That's a great feeling, isn't it, when your body passes the point of "Why are we doing this?" and accepts the fact that the sweat's gonna flow.

Great job!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you said that last line! Don't give up, girl! Every time you do it, it will get a little bit easier.

mak'n Changes said...

I'm super proud of u girl! This liquid diet thing is gonna help u get a few mor lbs off before u run. Yay! Feel better soon girl.

Marcelle said...

I felt like i took forever to get comfortable with running...I still find the first 10 mins a mental struggle, once over that it's okay, then the stitches - oh boy, if i go too fast too quickly I get such pain under my ribs...some days it all plain sailing, other days its a huge struggle.
As long as you keep going back and trying, allowing your body to get used to it you'll be okay.
I'm heading out for a run later this morning - ;)

Hanlie said...

I know you can do it! You will cross that line...

Fatinah said...

I don't doubt for one second that you can complete a half. Keep up the good work. I don't know what it's like where you are, but here TONS of people run half's doing 10:1's (run 10 minutes, walk 1). In fact, that is how the Running Room trains people. Keep up the awesome work!

Anonymous said...

You will absolutely be a half-marathon finisher in January! I have NO DOUBT about that, sis!!

Looks like we're both sitting out the rest of the month with injuries, but HELLO SEPTEMBER! We will be running rockstars!

P.S. Don't forget - our goal for the half-marathon is to finish. No time limit. No speed limit. No dream limit.

Easy, right?

The Fat Girl said...

That reminds me of my eventual acceptance of myself as a writer. I kept trying to define what a writer was and see if I fit into that. Then I realized I was a writer because I wrote... because I wanted to write. A part of my soul was drawn to it. That makes a writer. A part of you is being drawn to a runner. You are a runner. Even though you may not be "perfect" at it yet doesn't negate the fact that you are still a runner. We all have to start somewhere, and your desire to push through the pain proves how much of a runner you really are. :)

Fran said...

I've been running since March and still don't call myself a runner. I call myself a turtle runner because I might be one of the slowest runners alive :)

But that doesn't matter, we all do it in our own way and own speed. I think you did great and am sure you are going to make it to that finish line in January: running!