"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up you'd better be running." Author Unknown

Friday, January 23, 2009

Just when you think you have it all figured out, something hits you from behind and knocks you on your butt.

During my run today I felt great. I was keeping a 14 min/mile pace and feeling like I could do 2 miles without a problem..... until a sharp stabbing pain made me slam the STOP button on my tready. It was a stabbing pain just under my knee. I tried to walk, but the pain was sharp on every step. I got off the tready. Shin splints. GRRRRREAT.

I was mad. Mad at myself for not stretching better before my runs. Mad at the fact this was happening at a time when running was really starting to be fun for me. So with all this anger building up in me I continued the rest of my workout.

Completed:

.5 mile run
90 squats
45 push ups
1.5 minute wall sit
75 jumping jacks
1 min plank
20 Burpees

If I cant continue to run then my weightloss could be stalled. Even walking could be impossible for the next couple of weeks while my shin heals. So... now I have to figure out how to continue to lose weight without the added bonus of running. Does anyone have a stationary bike they want to sell, or give away??

The most obvious answer to all of this is to focus on my food. I will have to lose weight by eating 100% everyday and drinking my 96 oz of water a day. I will do my non-tready workouts as they didn't seem to bother my leg too badly. Maybe its time to get back on P90X... or Tae Bo.

Looks like its time to switch it up a bit.

Does anyone have any advice on treating shin splints?

5 comments:

Hanlie said...

I have no advice, only sympathy! I'm watching my legs with a beady eye every day, since I'm working harder and harder and I'm still so obese...

Hotch Potchery said...

Ice!

My shins usually hold up okay, but my planter fasciatis (I butchered that spelling) is what I worry about. I lost 60lbs my first go around with WW, and when I had to stop running, the whole thing fell apart, nothing else I like to do. I like your attitude, and hope if I have another injury I can work through it finding other stuff to do until I heal!

Amy said...

I understand! I got an ache in my back last week and had to take the running easy for a few days.
Man... I hope it's not actually shin splints, but starts feeling better soon.

Valorie Leonard said...

So sorry about the shin splints...man they hurt. I don't know if this is what they were doing on Biggest Loser, but one of the guys had ice on his shins...it might be worth a shot. I know that taking a break and stretching really good before and even during the run is helpful. A Bike would be an excellent alternative!

Lisa said...

OUCH!!!

keep stretching...as for alternative exercises i would suggest:

Pilates/Yoga mix. Pilates is great for your core, and yoga is fabulous for stretching and building muscle. You can download some videos, buy them from amazon, heck borrow them from the library!

If you do a proper squat and then "box" for 1-2 minutes, get up, stretch/shake it out for 5-10 seconds then repeat you will get a GREAT cardio session in.

and ice is your friend, my friend!